The Quinta de Val da Figueira is located on the right bank of the river Douro, close to the village of Pinhão in the heart of the Douro Demarcated Area. It is therefore situated in one of the areas that produces the best grapes for the production of Port and fine table wines internationally renowned for their quality.
The famous map of the river Douro, drawn up by James Forrester and published in 1848, marks the Quinta which was founded in the mid eighteenth century. Following the destruction of the vines in the Douro by the phylloxera blight, the first experiments with American vines were carried out on the property by the then owner during the winters of 1878 and 1879.
The main vineyard area of the Quinta has been in the present owners family for three generations,with some adjacent vineyard areas going back for five generations. The average annual production from the 16 hectares of vines is some 110 pipes. The wines are produced from the best quality grape varieties:Touriga Nacional,Touriga Franca,Tinta Roriz,Tinta Barroca,Tinto Cao,Tinta Francisca and also from traditionally planted low yield vineyards. The wine at the Quinta is made in the traditional way,foot troden in stone tanks "lagares". A practice which is still considered by the top Port winemakers to be the best method of producing fine quality Port wines. All wines produced are estate bottled.